Ways for You to Become More Alkaline
pH or potential of hydrogen is the balance of alkalinity and acidity in our bodies. Ranging from a scale of 0 to 14, the lower the pH, the more acidic. Likewise, the higher it is, the more alkaline. This balance is extremely important for our bodies to function. It is a complex process that occurs in the body but there are definitely ways that you can adopt to help regulate it. Some might decide to cut down on certain food, but people are increasingly deciding on getting themselves an alkaline water filter to replace drinking water.
Either method you choose, a pH balance of around 7.4 in your blood is required for metabolism to take place in the cells. The acidity in our body can increase when we consume too much junk food or have a poor diet. Even distilled water has a pH that is slightly less than 7. If we exercise too little or too much, these are factors of having excess body acidity. Leading a stressful lifestyle in a fast-paced environment has an impact as well. Our bodies can be quite sensitive when it comes to changes in our blood acidity such that the smallest changes can disrupt our systems’ everyday functions. As our bones are used as a mineral source for pH buffering, deviations may alter our bone density.
The increase of acid in our blood can eventually overwhelm your body as it has to work even harder, such that you might eventually develop a medical condition known as metabolic acidosis. When the body continues to produce too much acid, this could lead to severe acidosis. In worst cases, it can also be the root to other illnesses such as heart problems and coma.
To tell if your body is alkaline or acidic, you test your pH by wetting the end of a piece of litmus paper in your saliva or urine as soon as you wake up, before any consumption. Most would track their pH levels over a span of thirty days so that they can effectively make changes to their daily routine. By simply changing your lifestyle, these are some simple tips on how you can alkalize your body to help balance out the acidity in your body:
- You can start by reducing the amount of stress in your life. Too much stress is not healthy and in this case, it can cost you your health.
- Limit your alcohol intake. Alcoholic beverages are not only highly acidic, they also contain a high sugar content. When you take a break from it, this gives your body time to rebalance the pH of your blood.
- Reduce your intake of acid-forming foods. Instead, eat more alkaline-producing food such as carrots, broccoli, strawberries and wild rice. These are types of food products that can help to maintain the optimal pH level in your body.
- Exercising too little or too much was mentioned earlier as a factor of excess acidity. If you suspect exercise has something to do with it, adjust accordingly and get just enough exercise to obtain a healthy pH.
- Drinking water is vital to our health, and most of us do not drink enough of it on a daily basis. Start by hydrating yourself more often, and you can also opt for alkaline water. Installing an alkaline water filter is a simple step in replacing the water you are currently drinking. With alkaline compounds in it, this type of water will then be able to counteract the acidity in your body, reducing your likelihood of acidosis.